Friday, September 19, 2014

Giving too much

I was completely surprised on Thursday night to become the recipient of the Presidential Volunteer Award.  This is for having completed 400 hours of volunteer time with Girl Scouts.
My husband raised a complaint the other day that I was spending to much time volunteering.  I have to be honest that he probably has a point.  It's more then just failing to say no.  It's more then there is need.  There is always need.  
Service is something that runs very deep in me.  Maybe a little to deep.  I have to admit that I like doing all of it.  I like the look on people's faces when they hear what I do.  You might call it an addiction.  
I've tried to scale back.  In some areas, I have succeed.  I stopped doing the Cookie Area Director and the Fall Sale Service Unit Director.  In their places, i have added teaching catechism and directing the children's choir.  Still these are good changes.  I feel the need to give to my church family while still honoring the commitment I made to my scouts. 
But what about our family?  This is the question my husband raises.  That is a hard one to answer.  Our children play a large part in the things I do, but he stays largely on the outside.  And I depend on him staying on the outside.  The things he does for our family enable my volunteering.
So where does it stop? I just don't know.  I'm re-structuring my personal time (like lunch hours) because I've already made the commitments.  Next year, who knows?  Already my daughter is following in my footsteps.  I'd better not lead her to the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment