Thursday, February 19, 2015

Hunger

My stomach is empty. Is this hunger?  

How can I know that I am hungry?

The books and shows that are trying to guide me to weight loss say that I might eat if I am lonely or bored or scared or tired. I think I feel hungry, but how am I to know?  

My rational mind says this is probably not hunger. I have eaten three meals and a snack. Still, I feel a hunger. 

Yesterday, I fasted, truly fasted. That was real hunger, but this feels much the same. I know I should brush my teeth.  Somehow, I'm not ready to face the commitment to being finished eating for the day. This is rather odd, because my sacrifice for tomorrow must be my intention to fast. I have obligations which would  make it rude not to eat.  Not partaking in a meal would be discourteous. So instead of fasting and resting, I will be eating and exercising.  I know I will eat tomorrow so why am I so unwilling to be done eating today?

Do I even know when I am hungry any more? 

Did I ever?  I remember stating as a child that I was "starving".  I'm sure I felt some hunger.  I was small and growing.  My body was burning through my food so I could play. I'm sure I knew that I had hunger. How much hunger?  I don't know. A small enough hunger that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich folded over and a carrot stick or two would satisfy it.  Surely, that wouldn't be sufficient food for someone truly starving. 

I'm sure right now I am tired and my body's hormones are unbalanced.  Is that hunger?  Do I feel a real need my body has to set it straight?  Hunger or tired?  Melancholy or need?  

Tired, definitely tired and so without further delay, without eating another bite, I will brush my teeth and go to bed. 

Maybe I will wake up hungry in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment