Saturday, February 21, 2015

No offense intended

"Was it something I said?" I asked him.  

He stood over me, panting.  I could taste blood in my mouth.  The sharp pain in my hip prevented me from feeling all of the little rocks and shards of glass I had landed upon.  My left eye was begining to swell.  Speaking jarred it and I whinced as I spoke.

He turned and walked slowly away.  I sucked my lip.  I must have bitten it when I fell.  I  set my hands down in the diterus and felt the rocks and glass as I pushed down to heave myself up.  I couldn't put my weight on that leg and found myself squinting.   I took a step and hopped the other leg along.  It was slow progress down the road way.  People lined up along the way refused to look me in the eye.  No, I was wrong.  Some young men were staring at me and snickering.  "Was it something I said?" they mocked me.  An older lady, dressed in a long narrow gown, shushed them, grabbing at them with her long fingers on their arms.

i looked imploringly at her, but she turned her face from me.  I continued my limp hopping down the road.  The pain in my hip was increasing with each step.  I grabbed on to a lamp post and leaned against it for a while.  The cool metal of the post felt good against my raw face.  I held on to it gratefully until I heard a voice say, "you better get on out of here."

I blinked back tears. I wouldn't cry, not here, not now.  Later at home with a large whiskey at hand I would probably cry.  Nothing would compel me to cry here. 

I looked around, but couldn't tell who had spoken.  A mother, with her children pushed behind her, was glaring at me.  With a sigh,  I pushed away from the lamp post. With a step and shuffle hop, I started back down the road.  Never had a city block seemed so long.  Step, shuffle hop, step, shuffle hop, step, shuffle hop.

At last I could see the end of the block.  I wanted to run, but had to continue to step, shuffle hop, step, shuffle hop, step, shuffle hop.  The other leg was starting to cramp, but I could see the end.  Cars were streaming along.  I could smell their exhaust while they roared in my ears.  The crowd was changing here.  More and more people looked at me and gasped.  If it looked as I felt, I'm sure that I was quite the site to see.  Even here no one did more than get out of my way.  

Almost to the end of the road and the transectting street, I was shaky, but I had to keep going.  I kept watching the traffic drive past. I hadn't seen a cab pass and was starting to wonder if I would have to take the bus. Right now I hoped for the solitude of a cab regardless of the expense. 

At last, I was at the intersection. A couple of ladies looked at me concernedly, then turned to each other and whispered. They started to head toward me when I saw a cab. I raised my hand hoping he would see me and would stop. I knew I couldn't whistle. 

He stopped.  I limped the last couple of steps to the cab and pulled the door open. I held onto the frame so I wouldn't collapse into the back seat. Finally I was in the cab.

Instead of asking where I was going, the cabbie just sat there regarding me in his rear view mirror. His gaze took in my swollen eye and now puffing lip.  I had dirt smeared on my face and I was certain that I probably had a twig or two on my hair. I had done my hair so carefully that morning, pulled low into a conservative bun that covered my neck.  

I met his gaze in the mirror defiantly.  I had not gone through all of this to be stared at by a cabbie.  I wanted to go home and find an ice pack or twelve. 

"You obviously did your homework," he said gesturing to my clothes.  I had made sure that I was modestly covered.  I had dressed in one of the long narrow dresses.  I had been curious about them and hadn't wanted to give any offense.  I nodded my head, which was a mistake,as it jarred my eye.

"So what did you do?" He asked.

"I don't know,"  I said grimly, "must have been something I said."

No comments:

Post a Comment